Old 01-09-2019, 10:18 PM
Administrator

Default Why are you an Otaku?

Hello all,

This is probably the most common and yet important question that many of us get asked. The question can be answered superficially, "Because I love anime". But it's truly a deeper question that can lead to some soul searching. WHY do you love anime? What is it about anime and fandom that truly speaks to you as a person? What is it about your personality that made you gravitate to anime and fandom? Was it how you grew up and the people you met? Was it a rejection of "normal" society? Was it a crutch? Was it the themes of various anime that changed your way of thinking and how you perceive the world? Was it friends that introduced it to you? What is it about YOU and ANIME/FANDOM that connected, and made you want to live the Otaku lifestyle? Why are you an Otaku?

-Admin-

Old 01-14-2019, 02:37 AM

Why I watch anime is very simple. It was on normal TV, mixed in with the cartoons. Be it before & after school or Saturday mornings, roughly half, probably, of the animated shows I watched when I was in school turned out to be either anime, or have some degree of origin in Japan.

Even if we discount the obvious ones, like Sailor Moon, Escaflowne, Pokémon, DBZ & Yugioh, plenty of the remaining animated shows were anime.

The notable non-anime alluded to above is Transformers (toys from Japan, & animation from Toei) & Power Rangers.

It took me years to realize I'd been watching anime for most of my life. Even shows I didn't think could possibly have been anime, like Flying House & Superbook, were. It was just what I watched. Eventually, once I figured it out & started looking into anime properly, I found much more interesting shows than what gets made in the West. The good guys aren't guaranteed to win sometimes, & even actually do fail in the end, if not get killed outright. There are actual stakes, sometimes. The visuals are cooler, more camera angles used, sometimes. It just seems better produced in general. More complex story telling.

There are lots of reasons I like anime, but what got me into it was silent access to it everyday for the vast majority of my life.

Voltron & Generation 1 Transformers are 2 of my favorite childhood shows, that shaped who I am. Both have ties to Japan.

Activate Interlocks. Dynotherms connected. Infracells up. Megathrusters are go. Let's go Voltron Force!
St. Louis Anime Meetup Group | Our pages here | The Melancholy of Figma Suzumiya & Friends