Go Back   OtakuSocialNetwork > Otaku > Fan Creations (AMV, Fan Art, Fan Fics)

Old 03-28-2016, 04:51 AM

Thought I'd do a VERY short update, to even up my panel count to 40 (since I had a 7 panel update a while back).

In-flight Chatter

Yes, this means I'll do in-cockpit shots, eventually.

Yes, this means I had to clip out & 'shop in the Beta, again.

And, if you look, I did re-do the thrust for each pic (not as impressive as that sounds, as GIMP has a "Sparks Brush", which creates fire-colored orbs of varying sizes). Also did a Motion Blur (a built in Tool/ Filter), but that's hard to see, given how dark the corridor is.

Ooo! Finally on page 2... Why doesn't anyone comment?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Panel38.jpg (40.6 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Panel39.jpg (70.9 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Panel40.jpg (80.9 KB, 54 views)

Activate Interlocks. Dynotherms connected. Infracells up. Megathrusters are go. Let's go Voltron Force!
St. Louis Anime Meetup Group | Our pages here | The Melancholy of Figma Suzumiya & Friends

Last edited by J-kun; 03-28-2016 at 04:55 AM.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:10 PM

I had planned to post a new update to my comic this month, but I was prescribed new meds & they are producing a side effect that affect my hands. That combined with my condition, which they were prescribed to alleviate, which they aren't, prevent me from shooting the pics (like posing the delicate Figmas w/o risk I might break something) & working on editing the photos effectively. Hopefully I can have something up for next month, if my condition cooperates. T-T Luckily I can still game.

Activate Interlocks. Dynotherms connected. Infracells up. Megathrusters are go. Let's go Voltron Force!
St. Louis Anime Meetup Group | Our pages here | The Melancholy of Figma Suzumiya & Friends

Last edited by J-kun; 09-26-2016 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:38 AM

Sorry it's almost been a year since I last made an update. Didn't have a lot of motivation & I had a lot of games to play & anime to watch... Not sure if I've actually finished any of the games, but I did get caught up on my anime...

Expect another lengthy gap when The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild releases, hopefully, in March.

Anyway, I finally got around to continuing the comic. So, here's...

New Arrivals

Note that that's the Beta fighter that was stolen earlier flying in the next room. Oblivious to the box. Typical Haruhi.

Also, I went on & got a LED desk lamp to improve lighting & therefore image quality.

Sailor Mars is going to be a pain to stand on those heels. Already had problems. This is supposed to be my limited effects comic (...hahahaha...), to make things easier, so don't complain if you see stand bits I don't get around to photoshopping out. Or do, since that would be posts, which means readers.

Erica Hartmann will have her own difficulties, if I ever get around to her flying.

Masterpiece Optimus Primal being black will probably also make things tricky.

I hadn't considered using Wheeljack for this comic until rather late in the consideration phase for making this update. Figured Op could use a friend, & Wheeljack could get me out of a few corners if I write myself into needing a Dues ex Machina.

Lastly, I learned if I need to make edits, if I re-upload before finishing the post, the old pic will be overridden, though there's little to no evidence that it works until I can check the pic... & then I might need to clear my cache so the edited one displays.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Panel41.jpg (63.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Panel42.jpg (91.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Panel43.jpg (87.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Panel44.jpg (106.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Panel45.jpg (116.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Panel46.jpg (105.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Panel47.jpg (121.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Panel48.jpg (112.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Panel49.jpg (99.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Panel50.jpg (110.7 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by J-kun; 01-03-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:16 PM

Looking good, these are entertaining, be they're fun to make as well. Nice work ^^
Old 01-07-2017, 09:25 AM

If they didn't have some aspect of fun to them, I wouldn't make them. And these updates just come to me. I rarely do any planning for the comics.

Also, I've found I'm not too bad replicating personalities, but have trouble creating them from scratch. I was hearing EVERYONE in their voices as I was editing the text in. lol Doing the Sailor Mars/ Sailor Moon dynamic will be fun on its own.

I had another sentence to add, but its spoiler-y. Why doesn't OSN have the Spoiler BB Tag!? @[email protected]

Old 01-10-2017, 02:15 AM
Administrator

Default Gratz J-Kun

Gratz J-Kun,

You won this month's Best Forum Post Contest. It's great to see you posting your web comic again. Love the new lighting too, makes it look so much better (the lighting on the previous comics made it a little hard to see). Definitely hope you keep them coming. When I first saw the gorilla, I was like, "Wha? A gorilla? Is that Gorilla Grod or something? I didn't realize that there was an Optimus Primal. Then I remembered there was a cheetah transformer toy I saw at Walmart (I think), or some store, don't remember. Anyway, great comic once again, hope to see more, and gratz again.

-Admin-

Old 01-10-2017, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator View Post
Gratz J-Kun,

You won this month's Best Forum Post Contest. It's great to see you posting your web comic again. Love the new lighting too, makes it look so much better (the lighting on the previous comics made it a little hard to see). Definitely hope you keep them coming. When I first saw the gorilla, I was like, "Wha? A gorilla? Is that Gorilla Grod or something? I didn't realize that there was an Optimus Primal. Then I remembered there was a cheetah transformer toy I saw at Walmart (I think), or some store, don't remember. Anyway, great comic once again, hope to see more, and gratz again.

-Admin-
I know the lighting sucked, but I didn't have any money to change that until recently.

Optimus Primal is from Beast Wars, back in the Mid-90's. It was made by the same company that made Reboot, & is 100% CGI. Due to how expensive CGI was, they kept the cast small, which worked to the show's advantage. TONS of character development & varying tactics for battles were used through out. None of the main cast of Beast Wars is from the original Transformers (some do make cameos, though), so this is a different Optimus. Optimus is almost perfectly scaled w/ one of my favorite characters from Beast Wars, Rattrap (his Deluxe toy, which was released in the last few years -- he isn't likely getting a Masterpiece, because his Deluxe is so good). I haven't decided if I'm going to bring him in, too, or not, yet. Rattrap is the Maximal (decedents of the Autobots) spy.

Takara finally got around to making Masterpiece figures from Beast Wars (I think it was for the 20th anniversary) & Optimus Primal's original form was first. With the exception of the front of the Robot legs being exposed on the back of his beast legs & certain things regarding transformation, he's almost perfect. Looks like he stepped out of the cartoon from most angles.

Optimus Primal has 4 interchangeable robot faces & 3 interchangeable beast faces. So he'll fit right in w/ the rest of the cast. It also so happens that it appears MP Optimus Primal is almost the right size for a gorilla next to Sailor Mars, so that works out, too.

Cheetor also got a MP, but I don't think his has even been released yet (could have been by now though). Cheetor seriously needed an update. With the exception of this TransMetal body in Season 2, none of his toys have done him justice. I'm not sure if I'm going to order Cheetor, or just wait the several years it'll take Hasbro to bring him to the US, yet. Optimus I had to get, though.

Neither of their MP's have arrived in the US yet. Had to order Optimus, along with both of the girls in the update. Got the girls to get free shipping for Op. Figured them arriving late would be a nice way to include them, & it sets up some plot stuff that helps get the story moving, finally. That is not the box they came in, however. It was just one the right size that was easier to use (it & another box will be used to get Optimus's transformation animated, since black will be hard to edit w/o a contrasting background).

Last edited by J-kun; 01-11-2017 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:43 AM

Default Out of Time

Looks like I'm cutting this one a wee bit close (assuming I even got the deadline correct)...
But that couldn't be helped. The environment on this one required 'shopping EVERY panel (some with forethought), which was a daunting prospect. Also, The Breath of the Wild DLC pack 1 went live last week, & I only just finished it. The Trial of the Sword gets insane fast.

Anyway, more new Figurats characters to introduce. Got one at Anime St. Louis, & the other because I have some of her friends... I was afraid I'd find the one I got at AStL there. She's one of the pricier figures. But I did get a $5 discount... Anyway, time for more talking.

Out of Time:

I could've gotten Sakura's Figma, but I didn't like the outfit.

Both Sailor Pluto & Sakura are pains to get to stand on their own. Both are top heavy & have tiny feet. Pluto is worse, as she has super tiny heels! I was going to use Pluto's staff to support her, but managed to get her to stand, by accident, with out it touching the ground. lol

And yes, Sakura's Magic Circle already has effects ready for use. I wasn't entirely focused on adding to Breath of the Wild's time (the DLC took it from 355 hours -- 350 before I faced Calamity Ganon -- to 375 hours).

Unfortunately, the dots that make up Kero's face weren't picked up by my camera phone well, so I had to edit them back in. At least they were mostly just dots... Speaking of which, Splatoon 2 will require I get a Tablet for Voice Chat (stupid Nintendo being stupid regarding online again), & I might be changing phone companies around October, so I may end up with better quality camera options, soon.

This update also required a little bit of advanced work on the conversation before I could start it. I rarely do that, unless I have to. When I was working on Sailor Pluto's Silhouette for the 2nd Panel, I got a result unusable for this update, but otherwise a cool effect. I have an idea of how I'll use it (saved the outcome as an editable file), but no idea on when. Pluto's difficulty in standing, & the fragility of her Staff, also are considerations.

I warned you all about Haruhi spoilers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Panel51.jpg (120.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Panel52.jpg (104.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Panel53.jpg (113.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Panel54.jpg (135.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Panel55.jpg (132.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Panel56.jpg (136.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Panel57.jpg (142.0 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by J-kun; 07-05-2017 at 06:59 AM.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:18 PM

Default A Colorful Morning

Sorry this is so late. I got even more cast members, & then got sick after making sure I knew how they moved, etc. Anyway, this isn't what I was planning on posting, but it is the prelude to it. I didn't expect it to take a full 10 panels. The following update will just be 2 characters, so should be out faster, but it will be more difficult to do.

A Colorful Morning

Panel below is a repeat, posted from Discord to test if I can use that as a host.

Not entirely sure how this update turned out to be exactly 10 panels. That just happened. lol

I was hoping to get this out sooner tonight, but ran into some technical difficulties with getting the files off my camera-phone. For some reason, Blutooth wasn't working. @[email protected]

Additionally, sorry for that one dark pic of Op in the transformation panel. Didn't realize it was that dark until it was too late to reshoot it. Other than that, I am exceedingly pleased with how that came out. I have to cheat with MP Optimus Primal's transformation. Everything is close enough, except his beast head swings into the body the wrong way, so to get it to look like it comes down into the chest required some camera trickery & staging. I do have a Rattrap for him to find, just not a Masterpiece one. But, the one I will use seems meant to pair with MP Primal.

Also, I do apologise, to whoever reads this, for the huge gap between updates. I just have little motivation, & inspiration comes infrequently.

The newest group to arrive was MP Sideswipe & Sunstreaker, as well as Saber & whoever that girl from KanColle is (she was only $20, so she was kinda hard to pass on). Really need to watch that, so I know how to characterize her. Any idea? Her included faces suggest she'd get along with Hartman. It's been an expensive transition into the new year. I'm surprised my camera-phone was capable of getting that distant shot of them on the chair so clearly. @[email protected] I did have to flood that area with as much directed light as I could manage, though. Including borrowing a massively over-powered small flashlight I probably can't use for these much.

Lastly, let me know how the fire effect looks in the flight panels. I'm trying to keep effects simple for this comic, & that one is as simple as they come (uses 2 preexisting brushes).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Panel58.jpg (148.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Panel59.jpg (112.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Panel60.jpg (133.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Panel61.jpg (69.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Panel62.jpg (162.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Panel63.jpg (111.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Panel64.jpg (95.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Panel65.jpg (111.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Panel66.jpg (105.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Panel67.jpg (116.0 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by J-kun; 02-05-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:32 PM

Interesting. I'll have to see how long that URL works.

Tags
figma, figuarts, haruhi suzumiya, photocomic, sailor scouts