Go Back   OtakuSocialNetwork > Otaku > Conventions

Old 09-06-2016, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Default Gratz LadySkyfire

You've won this month's Best Convention Story Contest. Even though this wasn't about an anime convention, it still qualifies. Although we focus mainly on Anime here, we cater to all types of fandom, and Star Wars/Star Trek definitely qualifies. I love this story. I can picture the two factions facing each other, squaring off, Lightsabers and Klingon Bat'leths raised and at the ready... Would've loved to have seen that.

FYI, I'm definitely in the Star Wars camp (I have a full set of Biker Scout Armor, and would've been ready for battle ). But see, Star Wars geeks and Trekkies can get along, as LadySkyfire and myself have proved. So gratz LadySkyfire on your win. And of course..."May the Force be with you". Lol, I just had to sneak that in . Seriously though, gratz again on your win

-Admin-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadySkyfire View Post
Sadly I've never been to an anime convention; however, there was a small local sci-fi convention I attended once. One of the events during the con was a debate hosted by a local university debate team, over whether Star Trek or Star Wars had had the most influence on modern culture. When I walked into the auditorium, it was quite a sight - Trekkies had congregated on one side of the isle, Star Wars fans on the other. The outcome of the debate would decide whether the movie shown that night would be Star Trek or Star Wars - so the audience had an even greater stake in the outcome, and I think that was what ramped things up and really pitted the factions against each other.

It was actually a really good debate, but it got really interesting when they passed the microphone out into the audience to take questions; the Star Wars fans kept hiding subtle digs about Star Trek in their questions, and vice versa. You could cut the growing animosity with a knife.

Now the whole time, there were these two little boys, both of them around 8 or 9 year old running around, one of them in a full Starfleet uniform, the other dressed like a Jedi; they had been chasing each other around, having a mock battle during the debate. Well, everything came to a head when the little boy in the Jedi cosplay was passed the microphone. His question was simply, "How come Star Trek sucks so much?"; to which the little Star Trek cosplayer responded by jumping on him.

Now, I don't approve of youth-on-youth violence, but let me just tell you right now, watching two children in full cosplay of Star Trek and Star Wars brawling on the convention floor was an incredibly amusing visual metaphor for almost half a century of rivalry. It almost got really serious when some of the people who rushed in to pull them apart form both sides started shouting and shoving each other; there was almost a blood bath during the Star Trek-Star Wars debate (there can be only one! -- no, sorry, wrong fandom :P).

Fortunately, cooler heads prevailed with a lot of tense laughter all around, but the whole situation remained a memorable battle in the annals of the Star Trek/Star Wars conflict.

Also, just for the record, Star Trek won the debate - was there ever any doubt? (#trekkie4life)

Old 09-06-2016, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Default Gratz J-Kun

You've won this month's Best Forum Post Contest. Unfortunately, this was the only other forum post that really qualified. Hopefully there will be more posts in the forums again. See something cool, weird, interesting, anything on your mind, anything you want to rant about, anything you want to exult? Post anything (even if it's not fandom related), you could win.

Hopefully, to spark more posts, starting with the September contest, and from then on, there will be no more default wins in the best forum post contest. So post anything, even if it's just a picture of your dog or cat or pet Pikachu, anything (nothing x-rated of course, that'll get you a warning and then banned). So lemme see them posts. I look forward to what's to come ^_^.

-Admin-

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-kun View Post
Again, no point allowing a default. Sorry LadySky. Guess I'll go with a more boring story, since one or more of the interesting ones already won...

I think at the first named Anime St. Louis (so 2007?), I was walking around w/ one of my friends on staff doing security (he was on staff, I was just talking to him & might've helped a little), & got to witness Vic Mignogna lying to skip his panel. Ran into him a few other times, as well, that year. IIRC, one encounter, someone was taking Vic out drinking.

Walking w/ that staffer kinda led to a bunch of stuff that year, come to think of it: meeting Vic; meeting Studio IronCat's head; I'm still not entirely clear how I wound up in that pool...

Old 09-06-2016, 09:46 AM

Seriously? I try to block a default, & not only fail at blocking the default, but also wound up defaulting myself? @[email protected] I'll take a win however... Just send me the Shuffle S.A.V.E. That's why I entered more than Random, this time.

I really need to get back to working on my comic. But noone comments, & there hasn't been much to motivate me.

Plus, Splatoon just takes up so much of my time. I am playing Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE now, which is a strange & fun JRPG, which really are the best kind. But I really need to work on how I use my time. But, there's no point right now, since in March (hopefully; everyone assumes it'll launch on NX & co-release on Wii U), Breath of the Wild comes out & all attempts will be pointless, as that will consume me.

Activate Interlocks. Dynotherms connected. Infracells up. Megathrusters are go. Let's go Voltron Force!
St. Louis Anime Meetup Group | Our pages here | The Melancholy of Figma Suzumiya & Friends
Old 10-31-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator View Post
You've won this month's Best Convention Story Contest. Even though this wasn't about an anime convention, it still qualifies. Although we focus mainly on Anime here, we cater to all types of fandom, and Star Wars/Star Trek definitely qualifies. I love this story. I can picture the two factions facing each other, squaring off, Lightsabers and Klingon Bat'leths raised and at the ready... Would've loved to have seen that.

FYI, I'm definitely in the Star Wars camp (I have a full set of Biker Scout Armor, and would've been ready for battle ). But see, Star Wars geeks and Trekkies can get along, as LadySkyfire and myself have proved. So gratz LadySkyfire on your win. And of course..."May the Force be with you". Lol, I just had to sneak that in . Seriously though, gratz again on your win

-Admin-
That I would love to see, lol! Thanks for this! (And may you live long and prosper )
Old 06-11-2017, 04:26 AM

At this year's Anime St. Louis, I somehow wound up at every panel someone I didn't know attended. @[email protected] After one of the panels on Sunday, he approached me to point that out.

Only thing I could say was "I guess we have similar taste in anime" or something along those lines.

I don't know if there were any panels I attended he wasn't at, though.

Activate Interlocks. Dynotherms connected. Infracells up. Megathrusters are go. Let's go Voltron Force!
St. Louis Anime Meetup Group | Our pages here | The Melancholy of Figma Suzumiya & Friends
Old 12-17-2018, 06:43 PM

Oh man I will keep this short and sweet but it happened at anime expo of this year. I got to see Teddy Loid in concert again the first night and then the day after I got to meet him at the MEMEME panel it was amazing. But the real fun is what happened in the hotel, we were drinking and playing games that night, well one of the guys in the room brought out a striped pair of panties he got at the convention. One of the other guys in the room was drunk and went in the bathroom and put them on and came back out only wearing those! It was hilarious.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:33 PM

So this years AWA gave me a really silly perfect cosplays coincidence story.

My cosplay group was premiering our Yona Mafia AU costume on Friday night – We’ve got a Kija (White hair), Shin-ah (Blue hair), and Zeno (Yellow hair). We’re only missing a Jae-ha (Green hair) because the friend we thought would be interested in cosplaying him wound up spending the whole time Jae-ha was on screen giggling to herself because he’s got the same voice actor in the Japanese version as Victor from YOI and didn’t really want to join in.

But we’re down in the lobby, hanging out, getting ready to grab a few drinks or maybe some of the vodka gummy bears and who comes striding across the floor but a really amazing Jae-ha cosplayer! Who excitedly confirms with us who we’re cosplaying and then immediately tells us to please *please* stay right there, she’s got a suit and some appropriate accessories and she’d love to join our AU group if we’ll wait for her to change.

Of course we wait! Cosplay Coincidences are some of the truly magical moments at cons for me! And then she came back down and we did shots and got very pleasantly tipsy and accepted rainbow stickers from some Voltron cosplayer who was handing them out and that’s how I somehow ended up being snogged a stranger for cosplays photos. Consensually of course, but I’m not usually one to do something like that – I don’t generally think of myself as the prettiest one in our group, but I guess I do pull of dandy pretty well. XD
Old 01-09-2019, 12:59 AM
Administrator

Default Gratz XxKawaiiEmoNeko

Gratz XxKawaiiEmoNeko,

You've won this month's Best Convention Story Contest. This is what I love about anime conventions with groups of friends. Hilarious memories that you'll never forget that will randomly pop into your head years and years later and will make you chuckle. I hope you took pictures. That way you can text him that picture years later and ask him, "remember this?" lol. Gratz again on your win XxKawaiiEmoNeko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxKawaiiEmoNeko View Post
Oh man I will keep this short and sweet but it happened at anime expo of this year. I got to see Teddy Loid in concert again the first night and then the day after I got to meet him at the MEMEME panel it was amazing. But the real fun is what happened in the hotel, we were drinking and playing games that night, well one of the guys in the room brought out a striped pair of panties he got at the convention. One of the other guys in the room was drunk and went in the bathroom and put them on and came back out only wearing those! It was hilarious.
-Admin-