Go Back   OtakuSocialNetwork > Anime > General / Other

Old 01-17-2017, 05:43 AM

Default What big popular anime have you NOT seen?

Is there a really major, popular, well known, talked about anime that everyone seems to have seen and has been around a few years that you haven't seen? I know there has been many for me. Well, let us know! List them all! You can give a reason you haven't seen it if you want, but not necessary.

For me:

Naruto and Bleach: I've seen a few episodes here and there of each, but never really watched much of either of these. As I've discussed elsewhere, I'm not big into really long run anime, and these didn't make me feel all that compelled to keep watching.

Madoka: Just... never really wanted to.

Soul Eater: I saw maybe a couple episodes a friend of mine was watching. Seemed cool enough. But never bothered.

And, until very recently (finished tonight): Gurren Lagann - I actually saw the first episode when it first aired on TV in the U.S., and thought it might be interesting, but then wasn't able to watch the next few episodes, and then kinda got annoyed by some of the fandom, so never got around to it till recently. Liked it when I did finally watch it all though.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:43 PM

Alas, here is where I make my confession:

I have seen barely any of Sailor Moon, Tenchi Muyo, Gundam or Dragonball Z.

The shame torments me endlessly.

It was only very recently that I finally got to see a significant portion of Revolutionary Girl Utena, Gurren Lagann and Full Metal Panic (learn from the mistakes of my wasted youth - this is what anime clubs are for!).

I've also seen barely any One Piece, Fairy Tail, Magi, or Fullmetal Alchemist, though I've read most of the manga to each.

Also, everyone seems to have seen Code Geass and Eureka Seven; I still know next to nothing about either of them.

You should definitely check out Soul Eater - both the manga and the anime. The two stories diverge, and they're both quite good.

Last edited by LadySkyfire; 01-17-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:34 AM

Ah, yea, those first ones are big, especially for the upswing of Anime in the U.S. late 90s. I actually did see a good bit of Sailor Moon even, though I didn't watch it too regularly and wasn't interested enough to watch the whole series.

I will admit, I've only seen a couple episodes of the original Gundam, though I have seen all of some of the other series.

I also haven't seen much of Revolutionary Girl Utena, but that's mostly because when I tried watching it a couple times, I just really didn't like the art style.

One Piece haven't seen more than a couple episodes of, here good things about the japanese unedited version. Fairy Tail and Magi I haven't seen and didn't realize they are that popular.

Full Metal Alchemist I have mostly seen. I saw all of the original anime when it was airing (for the most part, and watched the rest later on). Watched some of Brotherhood as it was airing, but only last year got around to seriously watching, and am currently finishing the last season (season 5 wasn't on any streaming service for a while).

Code Geass I also haven't seen, that partially because what little I saw of it didn't interest me, and partially again a reaction to some of the fans of it that I knew that put me off of it. Eureka Seven I've watched a good bit of, though never have been able to finish it even though every once in a while I try to watch the whole thing again.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:07 AM
Administrator

Default Gratz DJIndy

Gratz DJIndy,

You've won the Best Forum Post Contest for this month. You have brought to light a secret shame that I and probably other Otaku have. Not having seen the big popular anime that everyone's talking about. For me it's 4 big ones.

Naruto, Bleach, Inuyasha, One Piece.

Now, I've seen a handful of episodes of all these series, but I didn't really enjoy any of them based on the episodes I've seen (when they first came out). Naruto, Bleach and One Piece I place in the same genre of anime. The

Hey!!! Let's fight, I lost, I'm gonna powerup and beat you now.
Hey!!! Let's fight, YOU lost, you're gonna powerup and beat me now.
Hey!!! Let's fight, I lost, I'm gonna powerup and beat you now.
Hey!!! Let's fight, YOU lost, you're gonna powerup and beat me now.

See where I'm going with this? While this genre might be entertaining for the entry level anime fan (I loved Fist of the Northstar when I was first getting into anime in the 80's), it gets pretty old, pretty fast (after watching a fair amount of Dragonball Z, I was like, "ok, this is getting ridiculously repetitious, I'm done, especially after all those filler episodes". I'll still check out those types of series to see if there is anything different that can peak my interest, but none of those series did.

Inuyasha I really wanted to like, I even bought the single issue comics as they were released individually in the 90's (I think it was Viz that put them out)
, still have my issues 1, 2, 3 etc...).

Rumiko Takahashi is one of my all time favorite manga creators (Maison Ikkoku is still my all time favorite anime and manga of all time). But I just couldn't get into Inuyasha. It was such a huge departure from her previous works (Maison Ikkoku, Ranma 1/2, Urusei Yatsura I even like her Mermaid Scar/Forest OVA attempt at horror better than Inuyasha), that it was a major letdown from what I was expecting and wanted. I had to sadly say no, I just don't like it, sorry Takahashi-Sensei I can't try and pretend I do.

So anyway, those are the big 4 that I just could never get on board with and continue to watch more than a handful of episodes. Gratz again on your win DJIndy, you've helped me embrace my hidden shame ^_^. It's getting harder and harder to keep up with so much more anime coming out than when I was watching it in it's heyday. If I were back in high school and college, I probably could, but it's too hard now with trying to make a living etc...

I still try to watch series that have buzz, but I think I'll always feel like I'm missing a lot, and that I'm not the Hardcore Otaku that I used to be, and was able to devote my life into being. Back then, being Hardcore Otaku was so much harder in my opinion (no anime conventions, no commercially released anime, no subs/dubs on VHS tapes, just watch the pretty pictures and hopefully have a print out of the translation on paper, fansub if you're really lucky)...Ah, Arcadia of my Youth... Anyway, Gratz again DJIndy, lol.

-Admin-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJIndy View Post
Is there a really major, popular, well known, talked about anime that everyone seems to have seen and has been around a few years that you haven't seen? I know there has been many for me. Well, let us know! List them all! You can give a reason you haven't seen it if you want, but not necessary.

For me:

Naruto and Bleach: I've seen a few episodes here and there of each, but never really watched much of either of these. As I've discussed elsewhere, I'm not big into really long run anime, and these didn't make me feel all that compelled to keep watching.

Madoka: Just... never really wanted to.

Soul Eater: I saw maybe a couple episodes a friend of mine was watching. Seemed cool enough. But never bothered.

And, until very recently (finished tonight): Gurren Lagann - I actually saw the first episode when it first aired on TV in the U.S., and thought it might be interesting, but then wasn't able to watch the next few episodes, and then kinda got annoyed by some of the fandom, so never got around to it till recently. Liked it when I did finally watch it all though.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:51 PM

I never really watch Naruto or Soul Eater.

I was very turned off of Naruto by a friend who got way to hyped about when it started coming out. At that point I just didn't care to watch and have never thought about watching. That is in part because I started watch Bleach when I working in a Trailer in the middle of no where watched water flow back out of a natural gas well.

Soul Eater, was one that looked good. I was going to watch it, but I just never seemed to ever get around to it.

I'm sure there are many more that I have missed but those are the big two I can name off the top of my head.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 05-02-2017, 04:24 AM

Yea, sometimes fans get me turned off a show before I get into it too. Their specific kind of enthusiasm for it just rubs me the wrong way at times. Eventually I may get over it (Gurren Lagan was kinda one of those, my wife still doesn't want to watch it just because of the people we knew that were big fans of it when it came out), but it takes some time and it's not like there aren't other things to do usually.